Gum disease occurs when plaque buildup on your teeth and gums goes unchecked. The buildup consists of harmful bacteria and residue coming together to form plaque. As plaque hardens, it turns into tartar, which brushing and flossing alone cannot remove.
Gum disease can be treated with the help of our team at Complete Dental Care. However, there are many things you can do to prevent it from reaching advanced stages:
– Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco at all costs. Tobacco can cause gum disease, and can even lead to cancer or death.
– Although you really cannot prevent hormonal changes, it is important to know that hormone changes in women and young girls can increase the chance for gingivitis to develop, which is an early stage of gum disease.
– Diabetes can increase your risk for gum disease, along with a host of other diseases.
– Various medications can increase the risk of gum disease by causing your mouth to dry easier, preventing saliva from protecting your teeth and gums. Be sure to speak with your dentist at Complete Dental Care about what medications you may be taking.
– A poor diet will not only increase your risk for gum disease but it can also increase your risk for a host of other issues. Always maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
Gum disease has many stages of severity, many of which can be reversed, and we offer various treatments for gum therapy. To learn more or to schedule a visit with Dr. Robert Doyle, you can call our office in Whitaker, Pennsylvania, by calling 412-567-0927. We can help you stop gum disease in its tracks!